- 2 1/2 cups very warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 cups flour
- Put warm water into large mixing bowl; then stir in sugar, salt, oil, half of the flour, and yeast. Beat vigorously for 2-3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until completely mixed.
- Allow dough to rest in bowl for 10 minutes. Punch down. Repeat until dough has been stirred down 5 times.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. Roll each part of dough into 9 x 13 rectangle. Roll into a long loaf. Pinch ends of loaves. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut 3 gashes at an angle across the top. Brush entire surface with slightly beaten egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 22 minutes.
Source: Liz Logan