- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend sugars using an electric mixer set at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping the side of the bowl. Add eggs, peanut butter, and vanilla, and mix at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix at low speed until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. With a wet fork, gently press a crisscross pattern on top of cookies. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes until cookies are slightly brown along edges. Transfer cookies immediately to a cool, flat surface with a spatula.
- As a variation, add 2 cups coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate bar or 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips to the flour mixture, then bake as directed.