- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef chuck, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- Heat the oil in a medium-size pan and sear the beef on all sides. Toss in the garlic and onion. Immediately reduce the heat to very low and saute the garlic and onion until transparent.
- Stir in the chili powder, black pepper, ground cumin, cumin seeds, oregano, stock, and 2 cups of cold water. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours (2 1/2-3 hours if doubling) uncovered or until the liquid becomes thicker.
- Sprinkle in the cornmeal and stir it in well. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Salt to taste and enjoy.
- Serving options: top baked potatoes and add cheese, or make yummy nachos!
Source: Savory Soups