- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (4 ounces)
- 5 cups hot water (2 pounds 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup honey or raw sugar
- 13 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 4-6 tablespoons of butter, softened
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Butter three 9×5 loaf pans and set aside.
- Combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine hot water, salt, oil, and honey. Add half the wheat flour and mix. Add yeast mixture and mix. Add the rest of the wheat flour and mix. Let rest for 5 minutes so dough is easier to work with if time permits.
- Dust counter with half of the white flour. Pour dough onto counter. Use softened butter on your hands while kneading and incorporate butter into the dough. Knead for 5 minutes, adding remaining white flour as needed.
- Divide dough into 3 equal loaves weighing 2 pounds 9 ounces each. Form each loaf by slightly spreading dough into a 9×7 rectangle, and roll up in a tube and form into the shape of a loaf.
- Place loaves in buttered bread pans and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.