- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Ham, cut into bite size pieces
- Cut potatoes into enough thin slices to measure about 4 cups. Cook and stir onion in butter in 2 quart saucepan until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and 2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minutes.
- Place potatoes in ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Pour cheese sauce on potatoes and ham and stir to combine. Bake uncovered in 325 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes or in 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and cook 15 minutes longer.
Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook