- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In large bowl combine flour, salt, sugar. Add yeast mixture and oil. Stir. Knead. Grease bowl. Rise.
- Roll to form circle 1/4 inch thick 13 inch wide. Place on cookie sheet coated with cornmeal.
- 2 tablespoons of 0live oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 can of Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste, plus 1 can of water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Saute onion in oil over medium heat. Add rest of ingredients except oregano. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Sir occasionally. Add oregano and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Blend if smooth texture is desired.
- Spread sauce evenly over pizza dough. Sprinkle sauce with red pepper flakes.
- Add 1 lb. mozzarella Cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and desired toppings.
- Bake 450 degrees for 25 minutes.
Source: Alison Partridge
Note: I double the dough. Divide the into 4 pizzas, weighing 1 lb 1ounce each. I also triple the sauce.