- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 handful spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pinches salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup potatoes, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown lentils
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium-to -large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in cumin, dried basil, and salt, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Add in carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, and lentils and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are soft.
- Add the spinach and cook until slightly wilted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.
- Note: You may want to double this soup to make sure it lasts you all week.
Source: Pink Method