I made mini apple pies in muffin tins. I used my apple pie recipe but if you have one you like use that one.
This is mine:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled shortening
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 4-6 tbsp ice-cold water
- Make your dough and refrigerate.
- 4-5 medium-large baking apples
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heavy Cream
- Peel and core the apples and cut into thin slices. Place in a large bowl. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and allspice; toss mixture with apples. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pour apples and juice into a strainer set over a sauce pan. Let drain for 15 minutes (should have at least 1/2 cup).
- Add two tablespoons butter to the pot with the apple juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until liquid has reduced slightly and mixture is syrupy and lightly caramelized; about 3-5 minutes
- To make the mini pies:
- Grease muffin tin very well.
- Roll out dough. Cut out circles large enough to line the bottom and sides of each muffin well.
- Spoon apples into the crust lined wells. Pour the syrup over apples.
- Cut 1/2 strips of dough to form the tops. Make the strips into a lattice then cut to the size of the tops of the muffin wells. Slightly pinch the tops to the bottoms and trim if needed.
- Brush with heavy cream. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- One batch of dough made I think 10 pies. I used a slightly wider muffin tin.
Source: Johanna Partridge
Notes: When I made these mini pies I substituted my pate frize crust for this recipe.