- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded natural sharp Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Cut potatoes into bit size pieces
- Saute onion in butter.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Heat to boiling, stir constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Combine potatoes and ham in a casserole dish.
- Pour cheese sauce on potatoes and ham.
- Bake uncovered in 325 degrees oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or in 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered until top is brown and bubbly, 15-20 minutes longer.
Source: Betty Crocker