- 1 4lb beef rump roast
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 heaping tablespoons pickling spice, (favorite brand is Kroger at Smith’s)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 Gingersnaps
- 1/2-1 cup flour
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 10 large potatoes, grated (Use a food processor fitted with a grater blade)
- 4 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons flour
- Black pepper
- Combine vinegar, onion, pickling spice, carrot, water, and salt. Marinate meat in mixture for 3 days.
- Bake 350 degrees in covered pot for 3 hours.
- During the last hour, crumble 2 ginger snap cookies into the pot and cook.
- Strain drippings, saving liquid to make super flavorful gravy!
- Whisk flour and water to make a gravy paste. Add to drippings from roast and whisk. Simmer on low heat till thickened.
- Combine potatoes, onion, egg, salt, flour, and black pepper. Blend 1/3 of mixture in food processor and return to original mixture.
- Heat griddle and butter generously. Flatten 1/2 cup of mixture for each potato pancake and cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through. Repeat.
Tip: Option- serve potato pancakes with apple sauce. I usually double the roast, and also triple the potato pancake recipe. I also serve sweet and sour cabbage as a side dish. Steam some green beans, they are good with the sour gravy. Yummy!
Source: LaMyrl Sandholtz