Ah, curry powder. I talk about it a lot on every recipe I post using it. As a recap, my favorite brand of curry powder is the Sweet Curry Powder from Penzey’s spices. I buy it in bulk, and it is what I use in this recipe. It is a yellow curry powder, and it is not spicy. If you are using a spicier version of curry powder (every brand is different!), adjust the amount in the recipe to taste.
You could definitely use white rice instead of brown. If doing so, make sure the carrots are chopped very small since the cooking time is much shorter (maybe even consider adding potatoes, too, which don’t fare well with the longer cooking time of the brown rice). All other quantities can stay the same, but the white rice only needs to cook for about 4 minutes on high pressure.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot (can sub yellow or white onion)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 1/2 cups brown long grain or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (small diced), about 1-2 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon coarse, kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (see note above)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil using the Saute function of the Instant Pot (or other electric pressure cooker; can also use a stovetop pressure cooker).
- Add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the edges start to turn translucent. Add the garlic and rice. Stir and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add the carrots, salt, curry powder and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes (select Manual and then dial up or down to get to the correctly number of minutes; the IP will start on it’s own).
- Let the pressure naturally release (or if you are in a hurry, let it naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure).
- Fluff the rice. Add the peas and give a little toss/stir action to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately.
Note: I served this with Mel’s recommendation, Thai Coconut Chicken