- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, halved and sliced into thin half moons
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce, add more if dry
- 1 pound deli roast beef, cut into 1-inch strips
- Salt and pepper
- 4 (6-inch) sub rolls, split partially open lengthwise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the broiler in your oven and adjust a rack to the upper-middle position. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter, Add the onion and cook until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook for a minute, until it smells fragrant. Add the A-1 sauce and the beef, stirring well to coat the beef with the sauce and onion/butter mixture. Cook until the meat is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sliced rolls on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide the beef mixture among the rolls. Top with the cheese and broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes (don’t even take your hand off the oven door handle – stand right there so they don’t burn!). Serve immediately.