- 3 1/3 cups (530g) flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 14 tablespoons (220g) unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 (375g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 2/3 (410g) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) whole milk
- 1 2/3 cups (395g) pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces (250g) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (125g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Food coloring as desired
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Place a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour the wells of The Pumpkin Patch Pan, tap out excess flour.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Set aside.
- In mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugars and beat for 5 minutes, scraping down the side occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning with the flour and ending with the flour. Beat each addition until just incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Divide the batter between the wells of the pans and spread evenly.
- Bake 18-22 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool upright in pan for 15 minutes.
- Gently tap the pan on a work space to loosen. Invert the pan onto the rack to lift off pan. Let the cakes cool completely before decorating.
- Wash and throughly dry the pan, grease and flour the well, and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Frosting- Beat cream cheese for 3 minutes. Add butter and beat 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat 3 minutes. Stir in food coloring as desired.
- To assemble the cakes, cut off any portion that rose above the rim of the pan. Place cake flat side up and spread frosting on top. Place its matching cake half, flat side down, on top. Repeat with the remaining cakes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then decorate as desired.
- For unassembled cake halves, decorate the exterior of each half as desired.
- Makes 24 cake halves, 12 assembled cakes.