- 2 1/2 390g) cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 10 tablespoons (155g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 cups (315 g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (160ml) whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups (300g) pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces (250g) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree, optional
- Food coloring as desired
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Position a rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Generously grease and flour the wells of The Great Pumpkin Pan. Tap out excess flour.
- Combine flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves. Set aside.
- In Mixer, beat butter for 2 minutes until smooth. Add sugars beat 5 minutes until fluffy stopping the mixer to scrape sides down occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, and beginning and ending with the flour. Beat each addition until just incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down sides. Add the pumpkin puree until just incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and spread evenly. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Place pans on wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Gently tap the cakes on a work surface to loosen. Invert onto the racks and remove pans. Let cakes cool completely.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese 3 minutes until smooth. Add butter and beat 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat 2 minutes.
- Divide frosting into two bowls. Add the pumpkin puree to one of the bowls, reserving the remaining on for decorating.
- Using a bread knife, cut a 1/4 inch off the flat sides of each cake half. Place one cake half side up and spread the pumpkin frosting on top. Place the other cake half, flat side down, on top. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Decorate pumpkin with remaining frosting.
Source: William-Sonoma Kitchen