One 11 1/2-inch Pate Brisee tart shell, baked and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups scalded milk
- 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut (or flaked unsweetened coconut)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the scalded milk and mix until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Transfer the mixture to the top of a double broiler.
- Whisk 4 tablespoons of the hot milk into the beaten egg yolks until well blended. Stir this mixture into the remaining hot milk and cook over simmering water until the custard is smooth and quite thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, coconut, and butter. Pour the custard into the baked tart shell and refrigerate until well set.
- Whip the cream until stiff and pipe as desired over the cold custard (we used an Ateco #48 tip). Garnish with fresh coconut curls and chill until ready to serve.
Source: Martha Stewart Pies and Tarts