Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons grated key lime
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients for the crust and mix well. Press into a buttered 8-inch pie plate and bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool completely on a rack.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the egg yolk, sugar, and lime juice. Cook the mixture over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated rind. Chill until the mixture thickens, but do not let it become stiff.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups cream to soft peaks and fold it into the lime filling. Spoon into the baked crumb crust and chill, covered, for 24 hours. To serve, whip the remaining cream and pipe it onto the filling.
Source: Martha Stewart Pies and Tarts