- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups peeled, chopped potatoes (30-32 ounces), about 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided (meaning you’ll use 1 cup at first and the other 2 cups later)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked, shredded or diced chicken, optional (see note)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- Cooked, crumbled bacon for serving
- Using the Saute function on the Instant Pot (or similar function on another electric pressure cooker), heat the butter or oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the potatoes, 1 cup broth, parsley, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure (if liquid spurts from the release valve, wait 5-10 minutes and try again).
- In a blender, combine the cream cheese, flour, milk, and remaining 2 cups broth. Process until smooth.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute again. Stir in the cream cheese/flour mixture (it’s ok if the potatoes break apart a little as you combine the ingredients).
- Continue cooking, and stirring constantly, until the soup simmers and thickens.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the chicken (if using) and the corn and heat through.
- Serve immediately (or keep warm in the Instant Pot for up to an hour). Top individual servings with bacon.
Many times when I’ve made this, I’ve used the cute, small potatoes (i.e. Little Potato Company – I buy the large bags at Costco but I know there are other brands out there) and I don’t peel them, and it works great. I just halve or quarter the potatoes.
The chicken is optional but tasty. I most often use a deboned rotisserie chicken thawed from the freezer, but you could go so far as to add uncooked, diced chicken in the first step and it will cook with the potatoes and other ingredients.