- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 & 1/4 cups light spelt flour
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar, for rolling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flax and water in a mug and set aside for a few minutes. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, molasses, syrup, vanilla, and flax mixture until smooth and combined.
- In the same bowl, beat in one-by one, the dry ingredients (ginger, cinnamon, soda, salt, cloves, and flour) until just combined. Be sure not to overmix.
- Shape dough into balls and roll in a bowl of sugar (optional). Place balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Carefully flatten ball slightly with hand.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes for a crispier cookie, or 10 minutes for a softer cookie (I did 12). Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
Notes: 1) You can probably swap the light spelt flour for all-purpose flour if desired. 2) This recipe can be doubled if you desire 24 cookies instead of 12. 3) I used a combo of cane sugar and turbinado sugar for rolling (the turbinado makes it really crunchy), but you can use all cane sugar if you prefer.
Note- I substituted with almond butter and almond flour because that was what I had on hand and it tasted great
Source: Oh She Glows