- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (35 ounces each) plum tomatoes, with their juices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, slivered
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables have wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add stock and allspice, and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and partially cover, and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or a food processor. Return it to the pot and add the cream, adjust the seasonings and heat through. Serve with parmesan cheese 8 to 10 portions.
Source: The New Basics Cookbook, pg. 99,100.