- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamon (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour 9-inch round cake pan. Sift together flour, backing powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, zest, and cardamon with mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a times, beating well after each addition. Beat in 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Reduce speed to medium-low, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool, top side up. Whisk confectioners’ sugar with remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth; our over cooled cake.
Source: Martha Stewart